Here we have already explained how you can register and activate your prepaid sim card shortly:
Here we want to answer a few more detailed questions about registration and the process of identification.
All information provided here is also in German. Click here.
How do I activate my Prepaid sim-card?
The SIM card is activated via www.o2.de/freischalten.
You also have the option of having your O2 prepaid card activated in an O2 shop. If you want to activate the card in an O2 shop, the card must not yet be registered in your name.
To prevent misuse, the identity check and activation of the prepaid SIM card can only be initiated by the person who registered the SIM card. When registering, please make sure that all first names match those on your identity document and enter your e-mail address. Please avoid typing errors, as this could delay or even prevent the activation process. For the identity check and activation, you need an acceptable and valid identification document.
Which identity documents are recognised as proof of identity for sim card activation?
The identity documents used must contain certain holographic security features, minimum personal details and a photograph. Not all identity documents in circulation worldwide meet this security standard. Depending on which identification method you want to use, the following applies:
For identification via video chat
German identity cards, passports and residence permits are accepted. You can also use temporary identity cards and passports.
In addition, identity cards and passports from a large number of other countries are permitted.
For identification by Postident
German identity cards and passports are accepted. You can also use temporary identity cards and passports. In addition, ID cards and passports from a large number of other countries are permitted.
For identification in the O2 Shop
German and foreign identity cards and passports are permitted. You can also use temporary identity cards and passports.
Also permitted are diplomatic passports, residence titles, visas, residence permits, EU Blue Card; proof of arrival according to § 63a Abs. 1 AsylG and certificates on the suspension of deportation (fiction certificate).
Activate prepaid sim card via video chat. What do I need?
Requirements for activating the prepaid SIM card with video chat:
- Only the person who has registered the SIM card can use the video chat. This excludes the possibility of misuse.
- The valid and admissible identification document must be kept ready.
- A computer with a webcam and microphone or a smartphone/tablet with a camera is required.
- You can do the video chat in your internet browser. The browser must support Web RTC, such as Chrome, Firefox and Opera.
- If you use a smartphone or tablet, you must use an app for video chat. You can find the Deutsche Post app (POSTIDENT app) in the Apple Store or on Google Play.
- A stable and fast internet connection must be guaranteed.
- The surroundings and your face must be well lit from the front.
The video chat is available daily between 8:00 and 22:00. Unfortunately, video chat is not possible outside these service hours.
How do I activate my prepaid sim card using the postident procedure?
- The proof of identity for activating the SIM card at a post office must be carried out by the person who registered the SIM card.
- For this purpose, we provide a POSTIDENT COUPON for download and printing when the POSTIDENT procedure is selected. At the same time, we also send this to the e-mail address stored in the customer data.
- The identity check will be carried out at a post office of your choice (using a valid and acceptable identification document and the POSTIDENT COUPON). Information on the locations of the post offices can be found here.
How can I have my sim card activated in the o2 shop?
- Prerequisite: Your prepaid card must not yet be registered in your name.
- Go to an O2 shop of your choice
- Identify yourself with a valid and acceptable identification document.
- An employee will check your identity and record the data required to activate your prepaid card.
What happens after registration?
- As soon as the verification of the ID data has been successfully completed, we will activate the prepaid SIM card.
- You will receive an email from us with the relevant information.
- The prepaid SIM card is usually activated within a few minutes, but in exceptional cases it can take up to 24 hours.
What happens if the activation was not successful?
If the activation was not successful, we will send you an e-mail with the relevant information.
Did you find all information needed? We would appreciate it if you’d click “Gefällt mir”/ “Like”.
If you have further question or any comment about this topic and process you can visit our English o2 community and write a question!
Latest Update: 07/2021